The fire brigade has  issued a warning over the use of fan heaters after a fire was caused by clothing catching alight in a bedroom.
Firefighters were called to the fire on Warlingham Road, in Thornton Heath, on Friday (March 10) at 12.31 but the blaze had been extinguished by the time officers had arrived.
Two fire engines from Norbury Fire Station attended along with police and the Air Ambulance landed in nearby Thornton Heath Rec.

A woman was taken to hospital by land by London Ambulance Service crews.

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by clothing coming into contact with a portable fan heater.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fan heaters should always be used in an uncluttered space where heat and air flow is unrestricted.

“It’s also absolutely vital that heaters are kept well away from curtains, furniture, paperwork and are never used to dry clothes.

“Always sit at least a metre away from the heater, particularly those using them whilst working from home, as it could set fire to your clothes or your chair and position them where they won’t be knocked over and away from pets.”

*Picture credit Graham Mitchell