A teenage boy and man were hospitalised after a fire broke out in a flat in Thornton Heath.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to a fire in a house converted into flats in Mersham Road, Thornton Heath.

Fire damaged a  flat on the first floor  with five people leaving the property before firefighters had arrived.

A man was treated at the scene for minor injuries and a teenage boy was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. Both were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

The cause of the fire is believed to be an unattended tea light.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Tea lights and candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a tea light unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”

Top candle safety tips

  • Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire.
  • Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
  • Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder
  • Make sure the candleholder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.
  • Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed Keep out of reach of children and pets

The  brigade was called at 6.06am  and the fire was under control by 8.11am. Fire crews from West Norwood and Norbury fire stations attended the scene.