A man in his 20s who was slashed across the back in a knife attack and took sanctuary in a charity shop in Thornton Heath has subsequently returned to thank staff.

The victim, who is understood to live locally, was given first aid by charity volunteers before paramedics arrived, after running in to the Salvation Army charity shop on the High Street.

The terrified victim who took cover in the busy shop after being cut across the back with a knife was being treated by staff as armed police arrived at the scene at 11.20am on Tuesday.

A section of road between the Job Centre and the side entrance to the Salvation Army on The Drive was cordoned off as paramedics attended to the man’s injury.

The man was taken to hospital but was well enough to return home after being treated. Police have made no arrests in connection with the attack.

This latest incident follows the murder of 15-year-old Jermaine Goupall, in Georgia Road, Thornton Heath  earlier this month.

Following the murder of Jermaine, local MPs Steve Reed and Sarah Jones called on the Home Secretary to provide extra resources to tackle what they described as a ‘knife crime epidemic.’

The North Croydon and Croydon Central MPs issued a joint statement which said that knife crime in Croydon is at ‘dangerously high levels’.

Adding: “The Home Secretary must now recognise how urgent this situation is and give Croydon the resources we need to stop the knife crime epidemic. People in our community need to know they are safe at all times.”

They are yet to receive a reply from the Home Office to their  plea.

In July, The Chronicle reported that the area was  being blighted by illegal activity which often appeared to happen with impunity.

After hearing about this latest incident residents posted their concerns on Facebook.

One said: “The police have their budget cut every year. They don’t have the numbers and sadly it will only get worse.”

At a meeting earlier this month to discuss antisocial behaviour in Thornton Heath Rec residents told how they were forced to take the law in to their own hands because of frustration over lack of police action.

Others said that moped riders routinely drove through The Rec between 4-6pm most days endangering pedestrians lives and that drunkeness was being unchallenged despite The Rec being covered by no drinking ban.

Police turned out in force in June in The Rec to tackle an illegal party which resulted in arrests for possession of weapons including an axe.

Following the meeting the council and police promised to increase patrols.