Firefighters are warning people not to place aerosol cans close to heat sources after a butane canister overheated and caused a shop front to blow out.

A man was taken to hospital with burns after the explosion at the Thornton Heath shop on Monday

According to witnesses a man was sent flying into the street as smoke billowed from the damaged Collect and Go wine and groceries.

Police, fire crews and paramedics were called to the London Road she at about 7pm on Monday to scenes of shattered glass over the pavement in the busy street.

Two members of staff and two customers self evacuated from the shop. A further two people left the flats above the shop before the arrival of the Brigade.

A man was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews before being taken to hospital.

The Brigade’s fire investigators believe a butane aerosol canister ruptured after being left too close to a fan heater.

The explosion from the can caused the windows at the front of the shop to blow out. A car parked outside the shop was also damaged.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Any cans which contain a compressed gas should be kept clear from any heat sources, whether it be heaters or candles.

“Heaters being placed too close to flammable materials and objects cause several fires and deaths a year so it is important to follow our heater advice.”

Portable heaters and fires

  • Secure heaters against a wall to stop them falling over, or fit wall-mounted heaters
  • Keep heaters away from clothes, curtains and furniture
  • Sit at least one metre away from a heater as it could set light to your clothes or chair, especially if you fall asleep
  • Always turn off your heater and allow it to cool before moving it
  • Change gas heater cylinders in the open air, or open windows and doors if you have to change them indoors
  • Store spare cylinders upright and outside, whenever possible. Never store them in basements, under stairs or in cupboards containing electric meters or equipment