Growing up in the seventies power cuts, unemptied rubbish bins, water crisis and the cold war were part of every day  life.

Forty years on a lot has changed but  in the past few months Thronton Heath residents could have been mistaken for thinking we had returend to the bad  old days.

Residents have experienced not only a series of power cuts, no water or low water pressure but the bins haven’t been emptied and in the last few days a sink hole has appeared in Parchmore Road.

There have been a number of explanations, reasons, and excuses for the issues facing Thornton Heath.

Council contractor Veolia, which has just been handed a whopping 20 year contract for rubbish collection came up with a  unique excuse for why rubbish bins weren’t emptied and the streets were filthy – it snowed which clearly proved extremely challenging for their heavy duty trucks.

Cabinet member for Cllr Stuart Collins, was not amused especially as they seemed to have the same problem at Christmas when there was no snow, so one can only dream up an excuse  – excess wrapping paper perhaps?

Residents have been well and truly left in the dark as well over a series of power cuts,  some lasting for a matter of minutes others for hours during January, February and March.

A spokeswoman for UK Power Networks said: “UK Power Networks apologises to residents in Thornton Heath for the recent power interruptions. We understand how frustrating it is to be affected by a series of issues.

“The interruptions did not stem from one underlying cause or affect all the same customers each time and engineers have worked hard to trace and resolve the causes to restore reliable supplies. Following the power cuts between January 29 and March 7 permanent repairs were completed to an underground cable and some equipment at a local electricity substation.

“The cause of the interruption on March 12 was located and some equipment is being replaced.”

Meanwhile, some residents were left without water due to pipes bursting but the biggest issue has been water leaks springing up all over the place.

On Melfort Road a water leak unattended to for five days caused the  road surface to collapse and then the road had to be closed and buses rerouted while it was fixed.